Well I went to college, graduated, and have now I started working at the Mobile County Health Department as a Nutrition Associate for WIC. For those of you that don't know, WIC stands for "Women, Infants, and Children" and is a nutrition supplement program for qualifying women. I am SO excited and grateful to have this opportunity and can't wait to see what I learn!
1. Write down your co-workers' names. You will meet so many people, they will remember your name, and you may not remember theirs. It gets awkward when you keep referring to Annie as Claire. I even made a chart of where people sit in the office so I could remember who they were.
2. Bring your lunch and pack it the night before. The best graduation present my parents gave me was my lunch box. I bring my lunch every day and that way I know exactly what I'm eating and don't have to spend any extra money going out for lunch. Chances are, the lunch you pack for yourself will be healthier than the lunch you go out and purchase during your break. I also recommend packing a small snack. Each day I have gotten hungry between when I arrive and when I eat lunch. I make sure to pack something small (granola bars, trail mix, etc.) for the midmorning. Packing your lunch the night before will eliminate having to plan in the morning and will save you some time.
3. Exercising is easier in the morning. If you can drag yourself out of bed, you will NOT be sad when you get back home and are able to completely relax. After exercising in the morning I find that I have much more energy throughout the day. I think the extra hour to fully wake up and get ready for work has a big part in that. Some days I can't make it happen, and it isn't horrible going in the afternoon, but I definitely appreciate the days I can come home and just hang out and not have to stress about it.
4. Coffee is magic, just magical.
5. Try to learn from everybody you are interacting and working with. They've worked there longer than you and, even though you're fancy and graduated college, they know better than you how to do their job. Their job may not be your job but it will definitely help you in some way.
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Thursday, May 8, 2014
Roll Tide!!!With everything being crazy because of graduation it has taken me a few days to come up with an appropriate resolution for this month. After having been in school my entire life, I think that for this month my resolution will be to read 3 books just for fun!!! I need a break from the text books, reports, and exams and this is the perfect get-away from all that. First on the list is the last book in the Divergent series (Allegiant) and I can't wait to bask in the sun and get started.
January: spend less time on my cell phone
February: take Denny to the park twice a week
March: avoid eating chips
April: dress like an adult
May: relax and read 3 pleasure books