Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oh my, what fantastic jelly that is!

This week in my Food Science lab we learned how to make homemade jelly! We had a choice between apple, peach, grape, cran-apple, and blueberry. My group chose to make blueberry jelly. It didn't take much time at all and was really fun to make!


Recipe:
1 pouch of liquid pectin (squeezed out completely)
4 C sugar
2 C blueberry juice


Directions:

  • Wash and dry a 8 oz. glass mason-type jar.
  • In a large sauce pan, heat the juice and sugar to a boil. mix in all the liquid pectin and boil from 1 minute while stirring constantly.
  • Remove from heat, cool 5 minutes, skim off foam, and carefully pour into the clean jars.
  • Put lids securely on jars and invert for 5 minutes.
  • Thermally process the jellies in a boiling water bath. Jars should be submerged and held in the boiling water for 10-15 minutes.
  • Remove jars from water and allow to cool.


My lovely jar of jelly:
I tried the jelly this morning on my muffin and it was actually really good! I'll admit, I didn't have high expectations for this jelly, but it turned out quite delicious. Try it out!
"I don't think you're ready for this jelly." - Destiny's Child :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...