Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Week 1 Meat-Less

Giving up meat for Lent has not been the easiest thing. Having a stomach virus and not being able to eat much anyways makes it even harder. I'll admit, I had some chicken noodle soup. I had to, I couldn't eat anything else! When I wasn't sick I was eating lots of salads, potatoes, fruit, and soups. I sure miss my sandwiches though! Having been sick I haven't cooked anything except what we did in my food science lab this week. We made couscous-stuffed bell peppers. They turned out pretty good and looked quite beautiful. On top of the peppers is a basil-based sauce. It was a little saltier than I expected but it wasn't half bad. The recipe was left in the class, so sorry I don't have that but here's a pretty picture of the final product:
Looks pretty good huh? Let's see if I remember what was in it: First I made a cumin and chicken broth boil. The couscous was added into that and left to absorb it for about five minutes. The couscous was then added into a mixture of garbanzo beans, raisins, and some olive oil. Then it was stuffed into the peppers and cooked at 400 degrees for about an hour. The sauce consisted mostly of sour cream, basil, salt, sugar, lemon juice, and olive oil. It took longer than I expected but it turned out good! I was impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...