Thursday, May 24, 2012

Guacamole Hummus

Guacamole and hummus - two of my favorite things. Avocado frequently makes an appearance in my meals. Whether it is on sandwiches, in salads, or even eaten whole I absolutely cannot get enough avocado. Garbanzo beans, the staple bean in hummus, is something I don't use as frequently. I typically buy hummus from the store but when I saw this curious recipe, I wanted to give it a try. I found the recipe a few weeks ago and when I woke up feeling fiesta-like this morning I decided to finally try it out. This totally vegan recipe is super easy and didn't cost me more than $7! That's a pretty sweet deal seeing as hummus alone is typically between $5-8.

Ingredients:
1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
3 cups fresh cilantro leaves
1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Coarse salt and group pepper

Directions:
1. Combine chickpeas, cilantro leaves, and avocado in a food processor. I have a small food grinder and a large blender. I used the blender. It wasn't exactly ideal, but it eventually got the job done.
2. Process the ingredients until finely copped.
3. With machine running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream.
4. Add the lemon juice.
5. Add water - 1 tablespoon at a time - until the mixture is smooth. After the lemon juice, I didn't add any water. The mixture seemed smooth enough.
6. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve with lemon wedges and tortilla chips!
The original recipe contained garlic, I'm not much of a fan so I didn't add that into my guacamole hummus. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, YUM! This looks so good!

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...